My web page states that the course is open to intermediate to advanced players. I suppose it would help if we had a clear definition of an intermediate player.
In my eyes, an intermediate player is able to do the following:
1) Serve. You understand some of the service rules and scoring rules. You know the difference and can play a low serve and flick serve.
2) You are able to clear, drop and smash the shuttle reasonably well.
3) You can play a little at the net although you haven’t been shown the finer points.
4) You have an idea where to stand in level doubles and mixed doubles although do not know much about changing position or tactics.
5) You can keep the shuttle in play reasonably well during a game.
I know some of you may be thinking that this is still a little unclear. After all, how do you define “reasonably well” in terms of standard? Reasonable to me is that you can hit between 3-5 out of 10 in the area you’d like the shuttle to land.
My main concern is to stress that these residential weekends are not for beginners.
We’ve always had a good mix of players and tried, where possible, to ensure that all players mix (something we learnt from our first residential course – thanks for the feedback!).
As you can imagine, it’s not always easy to get the right mix of players because of varying standards. That’s why I now insist on having more coaches to help out. This way, we can ensure there is always a good feeder on court to get the best results for you. Our coach/player ratio is typically 1:6.
There are times where it’s necessary to split the better players away from the main group. This allows us to push them harder and teach them more advanced techniques which they want, and are ready for.
At the end of the weekend, I can guarantee that every player will have been pushed hard to improve their badminton skills. I’ve not seen a player yet who hasn’t taken a lot of new skills away with them. And, that’s what my residential coaching courses are all about – YOUR IMPROVEMENT!
I will continue to say that “I want my residential coaching weekends to be the best badminton skill development courses in UK.”